04 June 2007

san fran wham bam

Back in Sandpoint now after a glorious weekend over in San Francisco for a 2nd round interview weekend with Green Corps. I'll hear back at the end of the week if I'm being offered a position (yikes!) but regardless of that outcome, I got so much out of the weekend it's phenomenal. Roughly 20 of us were there (competing for 2-3 spots...no pressure) and it was quite an experience being with so many people clearly motivated by drive and purpose to affect serious change in our world. Not only was I inspired hearing their stories and aspirations as we got a chance to see what it's like being an organizer, I also just had a blast! We were at the UC Berkely campus all day saturday, sent in groups to various action stations such as petitioning, public speaking, campaign strategizing, etc. to get some practice doing much of what, if accepted, we'll be doing next year (and of course to show the interviewers what kind of skills we have). Public speaking was probably my favorite -- we had one minute to organize some notes on a prompt (e.g. You've been given $1 million to spend any way you want, with the one stipulation being that you use it for the public good...how do you choose to spend it?) and then three minutes to speak on your answer to the prompt. I love coming up with ideas and arguments on the fly, it's difficult but exhilarating when you come up with something good. Perhaps I should have done more debate in high school and college, I think I would have enjoyed it...oh well.
I haven't much idea whether I'll get an offer thursday...I feel confident that I was a strong candidate, and I'm pleased with how everything went...but exactly how that translates to the options of an offer, a waitlist position, a referral to another similar organization, or nothing at all (those being what we'll hear, or not hear, at the end of the week), I do not know.

[end]

No comments: